The Sunshine Chalk Art Festival is coming to Medicine Hat this summer, from Aug. 12-14. The three-day celebration of Chalk Art happens in historic and sunny downtown Medicine Hat. Professional and amateur ‘chalkers’ create colourful and unique works of art on the sidewalks of the city. It’s literally art in the moment.
Read Joanne Elves' take on what to expect during the Chalk Art Festival.
The festival features nearly 100 artists — pros, amateurs and kids. They all get to turn sidewalks into a a canvas of colour and unique works of art. Other events include all-day live entertainment and special restaurant offers.
#DareToExplore destination tip - fuel your creativity in Medicine Hat via an artisan coffee tour experience.
Schedule of events
- Check out the documentary film Gesso: The Art of Street Painting at the historic Monarch Theatre.
- Visiting chalk artists will put on a Kid’s Chalk Art workshop at the Esplanade Arts & Heritage Centre in the afternoon.
- Take part in the artist workshop with visiting artist Steve Platt in the afternoon.
- The public is invited to watch the artists work their chalk magic artistry around town and bet to create their own works of art. All levels of talent and abilities are welcome. Chalk is happily provided.
- Be sure to stop by the Special Kids Zone where the little one can draw their own masterpieces and learn some tips from visiting artists.
Sunday is the day to view all the works of art. Come downtown and have a look at the finished masterpieces on the sidewalks. Mingle with the artists, listen to live entertainment, and enjoy the great summer sunshine.
- The Chalk Art Festival is free for spectators and participants.
- If you wish to register, artists can sign up at firstname.lastname@example.org or call Keith Friesen at 403-529-5997.
- For more information about downtown Medicine Hat and the Chalk Art Festival head to the official website.
- Read our FestivalSeekers story by Joanne Elves and get inpired to join in the festivities and create your own sidewalk art.
- Get planning and head to Medicine Hat this summer; learn more here.
- Ready to be wowed by incredible works of art on the pavement of Medicine Hat? Share this page with your art-loving friends.