The Wasa Lake Triathlon is a celebration of athleticism at its finest and with Standard, Sprint, Relay and Kids Races. The weekend will serve athletes of all capabilities. Whether you are an avid triathlete or just beginning your journey enjoy a supportive environment that celebrates healthy living and active lifestyles.
Go #RockiesExploring and uncover BC’s sunniest city.
The Sprint Triathlon is for athletes ages 16 and up, suited for the first timer and recreational all the way up to the more serious triathlete seeking a speedy effort.
Distances: Swim 750m, Bike 20km, Run 5km
Date: Sunday June 11, 2022
Start Time: 8:00am
Age Requirment: 16 years old on Dec 31, 2021
The swim is a single 750 m triangular loop starting from the Horseshoe Bay Beach. Wetsuits are allowed, long sleeves recommended. The cycling leg is mostly flat with one rise. It starts with a clockwise loop going 3/4 of the way around Wasa lake and then spins around to follow the Canadian Rockies and the Kootenay River heading south toward the Heritage Town of Fort Steele. The return portion takes cyclists directly back to the transition area via the south park entry/exit. The triathlon will wrap-up with 2 flat out-and-back run segments, with a cruise by the transition zone in between.
Relay teams may take on the challenge of completing the Standard and the Sprint triathlons. Minimum age of each participant doing the olympic relay is 18 years old and the Sprint relay is 16 years old, all ages as of Dec 31, 2021. Categories & Awards: top teams in each category in both the Standard and Sprint events will be recognized with awards. The sum of the ages of the swimmer, cyclist and runner (as of Dec. 31, 2019) determines the male, female and mixed team category: less than 0-119, 120-154, 155+.
These are the following ways you can enter a relay team in either the Sprint or Standard Triathlon
- Team of 3: each of the 3 members completes one leg of the triathlon
- Team of 2: one member completes 2 legs, other member completes 1 leg of the triathlon
- Team of 2 & Solo Tri Swimmer: using the swim leg of a solo triathlete, each of the 2 members complete one leg (cycle or run) of the triathlon
- Team of 1 & Solo Tri Swimmer: using the swim leg of a solo triathlete, the member completes the cycle and run of the triathlon
Make sure to check out other awesome mountain biking in the Cranbrook area while you are attending the Wasa Lake Triathlon.
The Trikids triathlon event is the highlight of the weekend! Check this out: full course set-up as the adult races, 6 separate races for the various age categories, a TriKids orientation clinic prior to the main event, the encouraging voice of race announcer Steve King, souvenir shirt, finisher’s medal and a catered post-race lunch for all!!! So kids, sign up and bring your smiley family face to swim, bike and run on your way to the Wasa Triathlon finish line!
Schedule of events
Friday, June 10
- 4:00 - 8:30 pm: Race bag pickup (Just Liquid Sports in Cranbrook)
NOTE: bring required TriBC or ABTri or other Triathlon Canada member verification (if you declared yourself a member or be prepared to pay race day insurance fee of $15) and photo ID to claim your race bag.
Saturday, June 11:
- 6:30 am: Transition Zone is open
- 6:30 am: CHECK-IN open for Sprint Triathlon/Duathlon/Warrior racers
- 7:40 am: CHECK-IN closes for Sprint racers
- 8:00 am: Sprint Duathlon STARTS
- 8:05 am: Sprint Triathlon Waves will START (includes Wasa Warriors)
- BRUNCH: 9:30 AM-12:30 AM – included for ATHLETES - SPRINT, TRIKIDS and Wasa WARRIORS. Pancake brunch will be served at Wasa Lions Club Outdoor Kitchen.
- 11:00 am: TriKids Check-in/ No race day registration for 2022.
- 11:15 am: Transition OPEN for TRIKIDS to set up
- 11:45 am: TriKids to Transition Zones (will be color coded as per POD group)
- 12:00 pm: TriKids POD waves START
Sunday, June 12:
- 6:30 am: Transition Zone opns
- 6:30 am: CHECK-IN opens for Standard Triathlon/Teams/Aquathon/Warrior racers 7:40 am: CHECK-IN closes
- 8:00 am: Standard Tri Solos & Relay Teams/Aquathon Waves START (includes Wasa Warriors) 8:15 am: Standard – possible 2 nd wave Start
- 11-12:30 pm: No awards ceremony for 2022. Medals available for pick up after event.
- LUNCH: 11:00 AM-1:30 PM – included with STANDARD/WARRIOR race entry. Athlete lunch will be served at Wasa Lions Club Outdoor Kitchen
After the event, indulge in epic apres at the Heidout in Cranbrook
Online registration closes on June 3. TriKids late registration will not be available for 2022 so make sure to pre-register. You can Register here.
When You Go
Learn more about Cranbrook here.
Begin planning your trip to Cranbrook via the HelloBC website.
Uncover more adventures in the Canadian Rockies. Check out ZenSeekers' #RockiesExploring Expedition page to see how you can have an adventure like this.